Self-Portrait Project: It’s Okay to be Vulnerable

I’ve always found creating self-portraits to be rather intimidating. Being photographed has never ranked high on my list of things I enjoy. But as a photographer, I realize that creating self-portraits is imperative to my personal and artistic growth. That’s why I’ve started Self – a personal, intimate, and raw self-portrait project that resides on my photography website, Kristi Bonney Photography.

“A portrait of an artist produced or created by that artist”, self-portraits are as varied as the individual artists they portray. The tone of self-portraits can run the gamut between fun, sweet, quirky, or moody, and often have a strong lifestyle feel.

Since starting my self-portrait project, I’ve learned a lot about creating images of myself that capture and convey my personality and emotions.

self-portrait project,

I’ve learned that it’s important to photograph yourself and your routine, no matter how mundane.

self-portrait project,

And that little snippets of those tender moments between you and your child are worth capturing.

self-portrait project,

I’ve learned to use shadows and light to add drama and convey mood.

self-portrait project,

And I’ve learned that it’s okay to be completely vulnerable.

self-portrait project,

I’m focusing on creating self-portraits that capture the real me, even on the worst of days. My wayward hair, blemishes, dark under-eye circles, and tears are completely out there for the world to see.

self-portrait project,

Because this self-portrait project of mine isn’t about looking perfectly made up. It’s about capturing the real, authentic me. And though the real me is a complete and utter mess sometimes, there’s still an incredible amount of beauty in being vulnerable and real.

self-portrait project,

Embarking on a self-portrait project of your own? Create images that capture every facet of you. Have fun. Get creative. Don’t be afraid to allow yourself to be vulnerable, even if just once. Get angry, cry, let the loneliness bubble to the surface and let go.

I’d love for you to stop by my photography website to see my new project, Self – an intimate and raw collection of personal self-portraits in my ongoing photography project. Safe to view at work.

1. by Run DMT on December 11, 2013  6:49 pm Reply

Showing a vulnerable side only makes your stronger. You are beautiful and amazing. Gorgeous photos!

• by Kristi on December 11, 2013  9:33 pm Reply

Thank you, Denise! You're so sweet. :)

2. by Ramona on December 12, 2013  2:45 am Reply

These are stunning!!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I must try it too. :)

3. by Gina on December 12, 2013  9:40 am Reply

These are beautiful. I think I need to do this myself given recent events. Maybe when I get back to ID this is a project I can make a priority. Thanks for this Kristi.

4. by Kesha Brown on December 12, 2013  9:40 am Reply

First of all, you know I love this right. Secondly, I'm up for the challenge. I just wish I had your camera! :-)

Catch ya lata beautiful!

5. by Teresa on December 12, 2013  9:45 am Reply

How brave and wonderful!

6. by Susi on December 14, 2013  7:57 pm Reply

This is great and wonderful! It's not always easy baring your soul... I try very hard not to judge myself too harshly when taking "selfies" even if I want to it the delete button. More and more I keep the ones I don't like and find that I am often surprised how others react to them. Love this! xoxo

7. by lisa on December 16, 2013  8:18 am Reply

What an absolutely wonderful idea. I dislike *selfies* and am rarely in photos (b/c I'm usually the one taking them!). This would be such a great self-discovery project. I wish you much success.

8. by Mai on December 17, 2013  2:23 pm Reply

Love the pic! Fierce yet I see a gentle woman in you.
    Vulnerable YET beautiful :)

9. by Michael Stagg | Light Scribe Creative on December 21, 2013  5:59 pm Reply

I know I've mentioned this to you elsewhere (Instagram maybe?) but thank you for inspiring me to pick up my own "selfies" project again. I'm loving what I'm seeing of your project thus far. More power to you!

Michael

10. by Claudia on December 24, 2013  8:08 am Reply

Simply - raw and beautiful. Something to keep in mind to do some day.

11. by Leovi on December 25, 2013  3:18 am Reply

Searching for beauty and find hope
      Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2014! Hugs from Spain. Leovi.

12. by Andi on January 20, 2014  2:26 pm Reply

Good god, you are so beyond talented (not to mention gorgeous)! Congrats on the new blog, I loooove it!!!