My Red Converses and Me

I’m packing up my famous red kicks and heading off on another adventure. We’re going to Dallas for BlissDom this time and I couldn’t be more excited.

My red Converses are a little dirty, not quite the footwear you’d expect to see at a women’s blogging conference.

IMG_0802blog

They’re grungy.

They’re borderline filthy.

They’ve certainly seen better days.

But they’re mine, all mine, and part of my life’s beautiful story.

We’ve been through snowstorms,

I Was Here: Home Sweet Home, Small Town Missouri

the scorching heat of the desert,

I Was Here: Saguaro National Park, Arizona

and white-hot sandy beaches.

I Was Here: Hermosa Beach Pier

We’ve witnessed the beauty of the changing seasons,

picture of leaves, picture of fall leaves, pictures of fall leaves, autumn leaves pictures,

and the potential and ingenuity of mankind.

I Was Here: South Dakota {Cross Country Road Trip Adventure}

We’ve rocked it out at NASCAR,

nascar cars, nascar pics, nascar photos, nascar images, toyota racing,

kicked at small town basketball games,

I Was Here: Small Town Basketball

and visited the home of Hawaiian kings and queens.

iolani palace,

We’ve been to Missouri, Arizona, Hawaii, California, North Carolina, Iowa, Idaho, Wyoming, South Dakota and Washington.

We’ve celebrated with old friends,

I Was Here: Waikiki, Hawaii

and new friends.

I Was Here

We’ve seen a few dark days.

I Was Here: Goodbye, Small Town Missouri

Days spent in doctor’s offices and hospitals; breast cancer knocking at the door.

My red Converses have accompanied me through some of my darkest days.

But those days are a thing of the past.

I’m one of the lucky ones. I am cancer-free.

Sure they’re dingy and grungy, but my red kicks are part of my life’s beautiful story. A story of hope, resilience, determination and new adventures.

laces

We’re just living out loud.

My red Converses and me.

1. by Yolanda on March 21, 2013  10:36 am Reply

LOVE this! This is something that I would love to do, have something that I wear or take everywhere and do a post to recap everywhere it has been.

• by Kristi on March 26, 2013  12:16 pm Reply

It's such a fun project. I strongly encourage you to find a way to photograph your life's journey too. :)

2. by Firasz on March 21, 2013  1:24 pm Reply

This is indeed an amazing post!
    Cheers : )

• by Kristi on March 26, 2013  12:18 pm Reply

Thank you!

• by Kristi on March 26, 2013  12:17 pm Reply

Thanks Sarah! I had so much fun at Blissdom. Can't wait to share here on the blog. :)

• by Kristi on March 26, 2013  12:16 pm Reply

Love you too, Andi! :)

3. by Diane on March 22, 2013  8:42 am Reply

I am so glad I started following you and those red shoes. You are a wonderful person, and those shoes fit you perfectly. Cheers to a great adventure and more awesome pics from your view in red shoes.... Safe travels :)

• by Kristi on March 26, 2013  12:17 pm Reply

This could very well be the sweetest comment that I've ever received. Thank you so much, Diane!

• by Kristi on March 26, 2013  12:18 pm Reply

Thanks, Amanda! When do I get to see you and your Cons? :)

4. by Susi on March 22, 2013  1:36 pm Reply

You know, I think of you every time I put my grey converses on. Can you believe, they are my very first pair ever? I love them so much... :)

• by Kristi on March 26, 2013  12:19 pm Reply

Awww, you're so sweet! And now I'll think of you and your grey Converses whenever I put my red ones on. ;) I love my Converses too!

5. by Rosemary on March 24, 2013  5:47 pm Reply

Hi Kristi - I am so glad I found your blog. I loved the photos and the sentiments below each. I've been lucky in that I won my battle with cancer, but you certainly look at the world with a different perspective after and appreciate every day. Your photos just made me feel good.

• by Kristi on March 26, 2013  12:19 pm Reply

Aww, thank you so much Rosemary! I'm so happy to hear that you won your battle with cancer. :) Thanks for your sweet comment!

6. by Mai Bateson on March 24, 2013  11:53 pm Reply

Whoa! A very extraordinary blog! I love your story about you and your red converse! I got a few pics of my black Converse and never had an idea that I will also share a story of my life. Incredibly amazing! Thanks for sharing! :) It was so inspiring...

• by Kristi on March 26, 2013  12:20 pm Reply

Thank you! :)

• by Kristi on March 26, 2013  12:20 pm Reply

It is so unfair! I totally wanted to do a pic with you guys and I forgot. :( Too much excitement. Plus my roommate kept coughing. So. Annoying. :P Hope you feel better soon! :)

7. by Life with Kaishon on March 26, 2013  8:43 am Reply

I loved your vacation pictures on Tamron's website. I am so glad they picked you as an ambassador! I can't think of a better person! Way to go Kristi!

• by Kristi on March 26, 2013  12:23 pm Reply

Thank you so much, Becky! It's been such a wonderful experience to work with Tamron. I loooooove their lenses. :)

8. by Brandie on March 26, 2013  4:45 pm Reply

I love this post. I have some shoes just like that. We haven't been through quite as much but I have only had mine a few years.....

• by Kristi on March 27, 2013  10:42 am Reply

Hopefully your shoes have seen lots of wonderful, happy times! :)

9. by Pamela Gold on March 27, 2013  5:16 am Reply

It may be your journey but I've enjoyed coming along for the ride!

• by Kristi on March 27, 2013  10:43 am Reply

And I'm so lucky to have had you right there with me. You were such a great support during that really scary time. Thank you, Pam. :)

10. by Alexia @ Babies & Bacon on March 27, 2013  6:18 am Reply

I LOVE this post. Here's what really inspires me about the Red Converse pics. In every photo, good, silly, hard, painful it's still you and your awesome red shoes. It speaks to not only being in the moment, and being oneself, but enjoying the journey every step of the way. You have gone through so many challenges and changes with those shoes, and maybe they're more frayed around the edges but they are still and will always be essentially you. Brilliant.

• by Kristi on March 27, 2013  11:12 am Reply

Awww, thank you Alexia! That was so beautifully said. :)

11. by Gina on March 27, 2013  6:48 am Reply

Certainly an adventure. With all that is going on here with my mom- your cancer battles have been on my mind more & more. Hope all is going well for you. Hugs!

• by Kristi on March 27, 2013  11:46 am Reply

Keeping your mom in my thoughts and prayers, Gina. I know it's a rough journey. I pray that she'll beat it! Prayers for you too!

• by Kristi on March 27, 2013  11:46 am Reply

Thanks, Stephanie! I love them too. :)

12. by mitzi@sweet country living on March 27, 2013  7:40 am Reply

I always love coming to your site! Those shoes are absolutely the greatest! I used to have a pair when I was a little girl and remember them being so comfy. I love how yours are red & how you photographed them as you went along the journey! Big hugs to you...

• by Kristi on March 27, 2013  11:47 am Reply

Aww, thanks Mitzi! I'm so glad that my shoes reminded you of your childhood pair. :) Thanks for joining me on this journey of mine!

13. by Onica (AsianBlackCo) on April 21, 2013  2:23 am Reply

Those pair of red converses are having such an amazing life journeying with you. I look forward to seeing the flash of red in your next adventure

14. Pingback : Saturday Six #124 - Misadventures with Andi