Oil, Water, and Finding Inspiration Through Creative Photography Techniques

Lately, I’ve been experimenting with creative photography techniques and making a conscious effort to think outside of the box.

Photographing my life’s moments is incredibly important to me and I love capturing my family and our everyday ordinary life. But when it comes to my photography as a whole, I want so much more. I want so badly to grow.

More and more lately, I’m pushing myself to try new techniques.

To learn.

To practice.

To actively challenge myself in new ways.

Oil and Water Photography

When I received my new Tamron 90mm 2.8 Di VC macro lens earlier this week, I was immediately inspired to give oil and water photography a go.

Oil and Water Photography

Tackling oil and water photography with my new macro proved to be difficult, but it was a wonderful exercise in focusing manually as well.

Oil and Water Photography

With a little bit of patience and a steady hand, I captured a few great shots.

Oil and Water Photography

Creative.

Oil and Water Photography

Abstract.

Oil and Water Photography

Challenging.

Oil and Water Photography

Fun.

Oil and Water Photography

Oil and water photography proved to be a bit of a challenge, but I pushed through and made some improvements to my manual focusing technique.

Go out and push yourself to try a new and creative photography technique today, like photographing oil bubbles in water. Need some help? Rebecca of Bumbles & Light has an awesome tutorial on oil and water photography to guide you.

Let creativity by the catalyst in your photography journey. Use it as a tool to refine and improve your photography skills.

Learn.

Practice.

Grow.

1. by Heather on March 16, 2013  11:04 am Reply

WOW these are great! How fun!

• by Kristi on March 16, 2013  10:05 pm Reply

Thank you so much, Heather! It was fun to experiment with oil and water photography. :)

2. by Barb on March 16, 2013  3:24 pm Reply

This looks like so much fun! I need to try this!

• by Kristi on March 16, 2013  10:30 pm Reply

It was so much fun to experiment with. Be sure to stop by Rebecca's blog (I linked to it in my post) for some awesome tips on photographing oil bubbles in water. :) Have a great weekend!

3. by Susi on March 16, 2013  4:52 pm Reply

These are awesome. I don't know which one I like the most. I can't decide!!! What a cool thing to photograph. :)

• by Kristi on March 16, 2013  10:33 pm Reply

Thanks, Susi. I couldn't decide either. lol You should give oil and water photography a try! :)

4. by Amanda Jillian on March 17, 2013  6:43 am Reply

Such fun, I might try it even without the macro lens when AJ goes to his dad's.

• by Kristi on March 18, 2013  9:51 am Reply

Awesome! Let me know how it turns out! :)

5. by Gina on March 17, 2013  6:43 am Reply

These are so fun. I'm really drawn to the soft pink ones. I think you did great. Having tried this before- it's quite challenging. I didn't have a macro lens- so that just upped the challenge factor for me. I will have to give it a try again when we have consistently sunny days. Finding the sun for any length of time seems to still be a challenge at the moment :) Definitely something I am not used to yet. But they are already in the 90's down at our old house- so I will take the clouds & rain over 90's in March any day.

• by Kristi on March 18, 2013  9:52 am Reply

Oh, I'll take the rain and clouds over 90-degree weather in March anytime! lol Let me know how your oil and water photos turn out without the macro. Should be fun and challenging! :)

6. by Jaymi on March 19, 2013  10:50 am Reply

I have never been able to successfully do this, but now that I have my macro lens and see your awesome shots, I think I'm inspired to try it again!

• by Kristi on March 20, 2013  7:27 am Reply

Awesome! You'll have to let me know how it goes. I tried it a couple of years ago without a macro (and experience lol) and it was a total fail.

• by Kristi on March 20, 2013  7:27 am Reply

Thanks! If you give it a try, I'd love to see how your photos come out!