Sometimes…

Sometimes, I don’t care about photography techniques, guidelines and rules.

Sometimes, my mother-heart clicks the shutter button and I just let go.

I let go of those little rules about composition, chopping limbs and achieving proper focus.

Instead, I hold onto that brief 10-second window when my little girl shined brighter than the sun.

IMG_9131blog

The way her hair glowed.

The way the light caught in her eyes.

The way the sun illuminated her fair skin.

The way her eyelashes fluttered as she blinked behind a veil of hair being tossed about in the wind.

lanasunlightblog

The way my heart exploded when we locked eyes and she smiled.

Sometimes

• by Kristi on March 4, 2013  8:59 pm Reply

Aww, thank you Andi! You're so sweet! :)

1. by Paula Kiger on March 4, 2013  7:37 am Reply

Love this! Let me see what I can find! As you know with teenagers these moments are a little less frequent. :-) :-) :-)

• by Kristi on March 4, 2013  9:06 pm Reply

Thanks, Paula! Those photos opps with teens are definitely few and far between here in my house too. lol

2. by Amanda Jillian on March 4, 2013  7:58 am Reply

Sometimes I find if I pay too much attention to the rules of photography I miss great shots. I also noticed that when I take out my fully manual 35mm I'm completely confident at taking great photos even of my kids. Something I'm still grasping at with my DSLR.

• by Kristi on March 4, 2013  9:11 pm Reply

How interesting that you feel more confident with your manual 35mm! I think I'd be even more engrossed in nailing things just right. How awesome that you're able to just let go! :)

• by Amanda Jillian on March 16, 2013  9:10 pm Reply

Probably cause it's what I used for years. I only recently got my DSLR, last year actually. Before that I used my fully manual 35mm for everything. I had been using it since I got it for Photo 1 in high school. So I've been using it for 10 years, it's second nature.

3. by Susi on March 4, 2013  10:23 am Reply

When it comes to the kids and capturing those precious moments I'm just the same. And you know, sometimes you get the money shot anyways! :)

• by Kristi on March 4, 2013  9:12 pm Reply

You're so right, Susi! :)

4. by Amber on March 4, 2013  10:33 am Reply

I find I enjoy my photos so much more when I let go of the rules and just follow my kid around and try to capture "her". THAT is real photography! ;)

• by Kristi on March 4, 2013  9:12 pm Reply

Real photography. Love that!

5. by Amarie on March 4, 2013  6:01 pm Reply

Those gorgeous eyes!

• by Kristi on March 4, 2013  9:13 pm Reply

Aren't they? I get lost in them every single day... :)

6. by Celina on March 4, 2013  7:26 pm Reply

What lovely photos and so inspiring. I'm new to this whole photography world, just turned my DSLR on the manual button last week. I have just a few photos on my blog if you'd like to see- however I don't ever really show my kids faces, so that's an added challenge. And these rules you talk about- I have no clue what they are, yikes! I'll be checking your tips and tutorial more closely now ;)

• by Kristi on March 4, 2013  9:18 pm Reply

Thank you so much! Wow, you've just started shooting manually? So much fun! You'll probably never want to go back. :)

7. by Kim Cunningham on March 5, 2013  9:58 am Reply

Such a great reminder for those of us who tend to obsess. I can totally see her joy of life in these!

8. by Melissa on March 5, 2013  10:38 am Reply

Well said! I think sometimes I get caught up in "the rules" and totally miss the moment! Working on that... :)

9. by Mindi on March 5, 2013  12:16 pm Reply

I really couldn't agree with you more! Did you happen to see my post about the 5 rules for a good photo? My favorite is a good photo captures a moment. Check it out if you have the time

10. by Janine @ Just a Moment on March 6, 2013  10:42 am Reply

I love all your photos of your little one. There are no rules when it comes to photographing your own children or grandchildren.

• by Kristi on March 7, 2013  12:29 pm Reply

Thanks, Janine! I agree! :)